Sunday, June 9, 2013

Lemon-Herb Pasta

I love making homemade pasta. It's the perfect weekend food: not too time-consuming once you get the hang of it, and so much more satisfying than the boxed kind.

This summer, I've taken to adding more flavor to my pasta. I.e., lemon-herb pasta.

I make homemade pasta in a bowl (rather than on a cutting board like many chefy people - way too much cleanup and potential for disaster in my opinion), but you can also throw all the ingredients in a food processor or stand mixer with the dough hook attached. Same results!

First, I mix some fresh herbs with olive oil and blitz it in a mini food processor. I'd say about 1/4 cup oil and a good handful of basil, lemon-oregano, lemon zest, and parsley.



Then, the base of the pasta: I always go 2 cups flour, 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk, 1/4 cup white wine, and a good pinch of salt. 


But since this is a special pasta: I add the herb oil.


Mix well with a fork until fully incorporated.





Tumble it out on a floured surface. It's ok if it's a little crumbly.


Knead the dough for 5-7 minutes until the dough bounces back when you press it.



Run it through your pasta roller/cutter OR roll it quite thin with a rolling pin, then cut it into strips with a pizza cutter. I once rolled out a ball of pasta with an empty wine bottle. That...did not work out so well.

Blanch pasta in salted boiling water for 3-5 minutes. Toss with sauce. Enjoy.

Here's some herby pasta I made with (blanched) spinach, basil, and topped with a lemon-butter sauce and crab:



The point is to add your favorite flavors to pasta, and not be afraid. Master the base, then play with the extras. Other combos to try: lemon-pepper, beet, saffron, mushroom (be sure to blend well into a smooth paste), and tomato (using tomato paste would work, I bet)!

Where will your imagination take you?

-Katie




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...