It's a proven fact that cinnamon rolls are one of the best breakfast foods on the planet. But sometimes, you just want something savory to go with your scrambled eggs.
Ergo, pesto rolls.
These are as delicious as they are easy, which is something that I need at 8:30AM on a weekend.
Either that, or breakfast at Kayak's Coffee.
1/2 cup homemade pesto (recipe below)
1 can Crescent rolls
3/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1. Bust the dough out from the can (this is fun):
2. Roll it out gently. Pinch the edges together so that it doesn't flop apart.
3. Lightly flour the dough on both sides, and flour a rolling pin. Roll out the dough just enough so that it's one uniform piece of dough.
4. Spread the pesto out on the dough.
5. Drizzle a couple spoonfuls of olive oil on the pesto.
6. Sprinkle on the cheese and red pepper flakes.
7. Roll up the dough lengthwise.
8. Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
9. Spray a pan with some non-stick spray.
Arrange the circles onto the pan so that they bake into each other.
10. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown all around. Meanwhile, get together your side dishes: we had scrambled eggs and fruit (blueberries and blackberries)
Breakfast of champions.
1 bunch spinach, basil, broccoli rabe, or kale
1/2-3/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup toasted nutes (walnuts, almonds, pine nuts)
1/3 cup Parmesan or Reggiano cheese
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Blend in a food processor. Add oil as needed to thin it out.
Are you a sweet or savory breakfast person?