Saturday, May 5, 2012

Review: DeMun Oyster Bar

Well, it's official, readers. I passed my thesis defense yesterday! Justin and I decided to celebrate by actually going out to dinner rather than cook at home, and we had the perfect place to try: DeMun Oyster Bar in Clayton.

Even having grown up in St. Louis, I'm still amazed at the variety of culinary and cultural avenues available to explore in this city. We've walked by DeMun Oyster Bar several times but have never quite had the occasion to give it a try. Yesterday Justin also finished his second year of medical school, so this was definitely the time to go.

DeMun Oyster Bar takes its inspiration from New Orleans, from what I could gather. It's laid-back, tiny, and is an open-air bar/restaurant. Super cool.




First, the cocktail menu: Look at the appropriateness here. "The Manuscript" and "The Suffering Bastard" — perfect for a thesis writer.



We started off with the gin and citrus cured lox with crostini. Ah-maze-ing. I'm definitely going to have to try that curing mix when I make cured fish again.



Next, oysters of course. We couldn't go to an oyster bar and skip the main event. DeMun Oyster Bar even has an oyster shucker behind the bar, and an extensive list of oysters from different parts of the world written on a chalkboard.



We got a couple fried and a couple grilled (I'm not into the raw stuff). The fried were super crispy and served with an aioli. But the grilled were so incredible we had to get four more.



Butter, garlic, herbs, and oyster. I've never enjoyed a bivalve so much.

Last, we got a bowl of steamed mussels and clams in a tomato broth. The shellfish was plump and flavorful, and the broth was so good we had it boxed up to take home afterward. It took me a long time to come around to eating whole animals like this, but I'm officially converted thanks to this place.



Overall, an extraordinary celebration with my honey. Now, to graduation!



-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...