Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cuban Sandwiches


You know that line in 27 Dresses when Katherine Heigl says "I feel like I just found out my favorite love song was written about a sandwich?"

I believe I have found that sandwich.



It deserves a love song. Justin made pulled pork that roasted for 15 hours, we pickled our own cucumbers, and toasted it all on crispy Italian bread.



I'm typically not a meat-on-meat sandwich kind of girl, but this has changed my tune.

It seems like everyone has their own pulled pork recipe, so I'm not going to go into too many details here. We cooked a pork shoulder (~3 lbs) low and slow at 225 degrees for 15 hours. Yep. Overnight.



One big tip I'd give for pulled pork is this spice rub: Soulard Grill's Spice rub from Soulard Market.

Soooooo good.

We also made our own pickles, which is surprisingly easy. Slice the pickling cucumber thin, and let it marinate for an hour in a combination of vinegar, sugar, peppercorns, and salt. We got the recipe from Tyler Florence. But we added jalapenos, because we're daring like that.




All assembled, these sandwiches were the best I've ever had.



Nope, no real recipe here. But be sure to get Italian bread, Virginia ham, Swiss cheese, make your own pickles, and use Dijon mustard. Holy moly.

We had avocado-tomato quinoa on the side with lemon/olive oil


Make sure you make this one this summer, readers. Promise me you will.

-Katie


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...