Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Crab & Wasabi Deviled Eggs

My mom makes deviled eggs for pretty much every family function we have all year: Thanksgiving, Christmas, July 4th, Labor Day, you name it. Her deviled eggs are amazingly easy to make — the recipe was a hand-me-down from an old family friend of her parents. Here it is:

12 hard-boiled eggs
1 jar Durkee Famous Sauce

And that's it. Hard boil the eggs, pop out the yolks, mix the yolk and the Durkees, then re-fill the whites.

The only person who doesn't eat deviled eggs during these family festivities is Justin. He doesn't like the creamy-on-creamy texture, the snob (just kidding, babe). So a few weeks ago when we went to Annie Gunn's Smokehouse market, we picked up some Lemon Wasabi sauce that went perfectly with tuna tartare.

And somehow my mind made the jump: Hey, this would be great with deviled eggs. And crab!

Who doesn't love wasabi and crab? Seriously, if you don't, I'm afraid we can't be friends.

And because everything is better with bacon, I thought I'd add that too.

The verdict? Justin actually really liked them. He asked if I was going to blog about it, and when I said yes he noted "Good. These are worth blogging about."



For him to say that about a deviled egg, ya'll, that's something.

Now this recipe only makes 2 servings, because it's just Justin and I. But this is easy enough to make for a crowd, too. I typically estimate about 2 deviled eggs per person, or 1 full egg per person (unless you're in my family and you have to double it). So you may have to up the amounts.

{Printable Recipe}
Ingredients
2 eggs (1 egg per person)
2 tsp Lemon Wasabi sauce {If you don't have this, just combine some prepared wasabi with some lemon juice and maybe a touch of sugar, since this sauce is slightly sweet}
2 slices bacon
1 can lump crab
Squirt of lemon juice
Salt & Pepper

Procedure
I took Anne Burrell's advice on how to hard-boil eggs: Put the eggs in a pot of water, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat and put a lid on it. Let this steep for 13 (or so) minutes. Rinse with cold water.

Peel. This is the hard part. Something about hard-boiled eggs always trips me up at this point, and the eggshell always sticks to the white. I hate that.
Mom always called these the tasters.

Cut in half. Look at that perfect yellow yolk! No green rings here.


Pop out the yolks into a bowl. Add the wasabi sauce, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.


Crisp up the bacon in a pan.

Mmmm bacon.

When it's done, drain it on a paper towel and chop it up fine. Reserve a sprinkle or two of bacon as a garnish. Fold the bacon and the crab into the yolk mixture.


Spoon the mix into the egg whites. Top with bacon.

We had some leftover filling, which I imagine will be lovely on toast tomorrow morning.


-Katie












No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...