Thursday, April 19, 2012

Family Recipes: Crab Toasts

A couple years ago I was recruited by my mom-in-law to bring an appetizer to the Starke Family Christmas. At the time I was also helping out a neighbor with some office work for their family business, and Sherrie is an incredible cook and hostess. I asked if she had a simple and tasty recipe that makes a lot of appetizers (there are dozens of Starkes) and she gave me this fantastic recipe for crab toasts.

They are so simple and pragmatic for entertaining. I tweaked them just a little from Sherrie's original recipe to cut down on the butter (for Justin) and bulk up the crab (for both of us).

You can freeze them, pop them out a few at a time, and save the rest for later. I have yet to meet anyone who doesn't go crazy over them. And the ingredients are so cheap and available:

Ingredients
{Printable Recipe}
1 dozen English muffins, split
2 cans lump crab meat (the good stuff) or 1 can lump, 1 can claw
2 tbsp mayo
1/2 tsp seasoning salt (I used the Creole seasoning to the right)
1 jar Old English cheddar cheese (below)


1 clove garlic, crushed
1/2 stick butter, softened
Optional: cayenne, salt and pepper, your favorite spice

























Preparation


This is so easy. I love it. Mix the butter, mayo, cheddar, garlic, and seasoning salt.


Fold in the crab.


Spread on the split English muffins.


Now, if you want to make these appetizers, you can cut them into fourths, like this:




OR you could leave them whole, and you have a side dish, or a lovely base for Eggs Benedict. Just top it with a poached egg.

Otherwise, it's best to freeze these babies until you're ready to use them.


When you are ready — and I'm ready now — toast them in a 400 degree oven for ten minutes or until they're hot and bubbly.



They're crunchy, creamy, crabby and cheesy. And, totally addictive.


 -Katie







2 comments:

  1. Made these as an appetizer for my family's Christmas get-together and got raves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many ounces are the cans of crab meat?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...