Friday, April 13, 2012

Cornflake Oven-Baked "Fried" Chicken

Happy Friday the 13th everyone!

Who doesn't love fried chicken? I know I do. Especially when you live in St. Louis nearby places like Friendly's, Sweetie Pie's, and Porter's — all of which, tragically, I've never been to. They're on my list. Maybe a restaurant review is in order?

Well, as delicious as fried chicken is, it's also extraordinarily bad for you. So good … so bad. How to compromise?

Oven baked fried chicken.

I know, it sounds really unsatisfying. Frying in an oven? That never works. Just compare oven-baked chips to fried — it's OK when you want to be healthy, but there's no comparison in taste.

So I gave this recipe a try a while ago. Iron Chef Cat Cora invented it, and she knows her stuff. I gave it a few tweaks to make it easier (seriously, who buys buttermilk?) and I have to say, it's pretty damn good for oven-fried chicken. I made it my own with a different seasoning.

One word: Sriracha sauce. It's soooo delicious. It's good on potatoes, in vinaigrettes, in peanut sauce … I love it so much, I could write it a letter.

Ingredients
{Printable Recipe}
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 cups cornflakes

Marinade:
1/2 cup Greek yogurt
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp Sriracha sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Salt & Pepper

Special Equipment:
baking rack and cookie sheet that it fits into nicely.

Preparation:

For the marinade, just mix everything together in a pie plate or on a dish. Mix it up.


Dip the chicken into it and rub the marinade into the meat. Let this sit for an hour or longer. Even overnight it you want. The Greek yogurt acts kind of like buttermilk, and makes it nice and moist and tender. AND no eggs!


Crush the cornflakes in a food processor.


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. I know, that's hot, but it toasts the cornflake and makes it really crispy.
Set up a cookie sheet, cover with foil, and set a baking rack on top of it.
 Spray with non-stick cooking spray.


Dip the chicken, marinade and all, into the cornflakes. Set on the baking rack, and bake for 15 minutes.
Reduce the heat to 375 and cook for an additional 10 minutes or until they're done. 


This picture really doesn't do it justice: Trust me, they're divine. With a side of mac & cheese or salad, this is a beautiful, health-ified fried chicken.


-Katie

hungry for more? follow me or subscribe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...