Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Hungry Hungry Hippie Muffins

I'm typically not a health food nut. I like to eat healthy, and I like to put twists on recipes to cut out a little fat or whatever, but I don't seek out "healthy" food.

So when Justin wants bran muffins (yeuch), I will make them but generally avoid them. Until today at the gym while watching Food Network on the elliptical, I saw Giada de Laurentiis make zucchini-carrot muffins.

Hmm I thought. Healthy food tasting good?


So immediately afterward, I ran to the grocery store to pick up the ingredients, still in my stanky gym clothes. I felt pretty good about it, too, considering my basket was full of vegetables and fruit.

I tweaked Giada's recipe to make these muffins even more ridiculously healthy, for some reason. They're fat free, full of fruit and vegetables, whole grain, and flaxseed. They're almost hippie-ish — inspiring the name. Justin was a total hippie in college, too, so it makes sense.

{Printable Recipe}
Ingredients
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour (or almond flour or rice flour)
2 tbsp ground flax seed (optional)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup honey
1 egg
1 medium carrot, shredded
1 medium zucchini, shredded
1/2 cup raisins

Procedure
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with cupcake papers and coat with non-stick cooking spray. Or you can forget the cupcake liners — doesn't really matter.

Shred the carrot and zucchini. No need to peel.


Mix up the applesauce, honey, and egg. Add in the dry ingredients and mix until combined. I've mentioned before that I hate sifting and measuring into separate bowls, so I didn't bother. 
They turned out just fine.


Add the raisins, zucchini and carrot. Fold it in.


Spoon the mixture into the tin. These won't puff up too much, so you can fill them pretty much to the top if you like. Bake for 20 minutes or so until a toothpick comes out clean when you give them a pokey-poke. They'll look pretty browned, but it's because of the wheat flour.

Before...

After

These don't taste healthy at ALL. Promise.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...