Thursday, March 8, 2012

Pasta alla Fiorentina

Remember when I said Justin and I eat a lot of pasta?

It's true.

This was sort of a random creation. As a grad student, I have a weird schedule, meaning that I often have a lot to do but rarely have any place to go. This means a lot of sitting around my house in my pajamas, staring at a scrambled Word doc that's my thesis at 10am, having not consumed anything but a mug of coffee at 8am.

Too late for breakfast, too early for lunch. So I made pasta.

I had to justify eating pasta at 10am by making it florentine-style, which to me means putting a fried egg on top. Fried eggs make everything more delicious.
{Printable Recipe}
Ingredients
1/4 lb short pasta (I used Pipe Rigate, a kind of fat, squashy macaroni with ridges)
2 tbsp butter
2-3 cups arugula
1 egg
Parmesan cheese
Salt & Pepper

Preparation


Boil heavily salted water. Cook noodles. Starts out easy enough.


When the noodles are pretty much done, throw in your arugula.


Try to actually get it all in the pot.


Stir. Drain. Put back in the pot. Add a tablespoon of butter. Or so.


Stir it all up, shovel into a bowl, and top with Parmesan.


It looks tasty enough already, but why not add that fried egg?


Top it all off with some black pepper. You won't need salt if you salted the water from the beginning, and with the Parmesan it should have a nice salty bite.


A properly cooked fried egg still has a runny yolk; it acts as a sauce to your pasta.


Ooooh.


Aaaaah.

-Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...